Good question, tests will be timed, although I have yet to decide on a time length or even the number of test questions. That should be figured out within the next week.
Shannon, well, yes and no. Yes in that I will be posting the test 1-2 days prior. But no, because the tests will be accessible over a 24-hour window. The tests will generally be completed during the time frame indicated on the syllabus. David
Ok I am still a little confused. So for example, on the syllabus the first test is listed for September 27th, so basically it'll be posted a day or two before the 27th and must be completed by the 27th?
Yes, that is correct. The test will be administered similar to a classroom setting. You will access the test through BB, and upon opening it, you will be given 65-70 minutes to complete the questions. There will be a 24-hour window to access the test.
Andrea, no, the quiz will be available for two days, but over a 24-hour period. I will post the quiz Sunday at noon, and it will be available until Monday at noon.
There is a very large timer at the side of the test. I know it supposed to be there, but it makes it difficult to read the question and click the submit button. I had to enlarge the screen just to see a little portion of the arrow to submit the question. I know other people who have experienced the same issues in other online classes; that was how I found out about enlarging the screen. However, I still was unable to read the entire question. This may become an issue in the future. Is there any way to fix this problem?
I just tried to take the exam and there was this big clock that was in the way. i couldn't skroll down or do anything else at that point, what gives...
In regard to the above two comments. Jess, that you for pointing this out and offering one solution to fix this issue. After your comment, Julie and I looked into this and were fortunate that another student experienced this issue in another class.
Here is "what gives": Internet Explorer is not fully compatible with Blackboard, thus, issues like the "time expired" are prone to happen. The solution: Either 1) download a different web browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari) and that will clear up that problem; or 2) click the restore down button on your webpage and try to get around the issue of the clock. I would recommend the former.
Julie discussed these issues in an announcement earlier. Thanks to the students who pointed this out as well as provided solutions to this problem. Please refer to this announcement. Since I am in the process of catching a flight, Julie will be addressing further issues you have. Please contact her in this regard.
As I was taking the syllabus quiz I was not able to go to the next question and I could not widen the screen anymore to view more of the page. My time ran out and it says my test was not completed. So I need to know what to do about the quiz since this was not my fault I do not feel I should be punished for it. As I saw another student had the same difficulty but I did not see an arrow for the submit button, So please let me know as soon as you can what you are going to do to fix it.
Please see the posts above for an explanation of the problem. Also, go to the link on the announcements page for instructions before you take the test. If you need further help with this problem you can email me.
I was in the middle of taking my syllabus test and I got to question 7. I continued to hit the next button to submit my answers and it prompted me to wait. I waited about ten minutes and then decided that it would help to hit the refresh button. Obviously, this was a bad idea. I am a transfer student from Tucson and still learning how to take exams on-line. I apologize for the inconvenience and was hoping I could be let back into the exam. Thank you for your time.
Brad, The test will cover all of the information covered in the course, including the textbook readings and the excerpts. That said, your powerpoints will be a helpful study guide for the test.
The Internet Explorer 8 issue is discussed in the posts above (Sept 6-7). Also, if you display (View All) on the Announcements page you will see an announcement about this issue.
Hi! When will exam 1 be posted? Is it going to be just like the syllabus quiz and be available for 24 hours (and if so just at noon again?) or just due before midnight Sunday? Thanks!
Exam #2 will be posted Sunday at 11:00am. It will be available until Monday at 1:00pm. I am working on an announcement right now that will describe everything in more details.
Is there a way to review the answers that we have missed on the test? After you submit it, it just gives you a score; however, it does not allow you back into the exam to see the correct answers. I have had another online class, and after the test it would allow you to see what you got correct and what you missed.
Tests will be reviewed with students only in person, by appointment. Please contact Julie if you would like to set up an appointment. Since this is an online course, you will have to accomodate with our schedule. - David
I'm reading Chap. 11-13 right now and am seeing answers to some questions that were on the test. I didn't think these chapters were on test 1. Am I reading the syllabus wrong and am actually a week behind or were those questions not supposed to be on the first test?
I just look at the "grades" portion of this blackboard page and I noticed one grade that was for Test 1A. Is this some test that I have missed already and was not aware of?
Test 1a is not a part of your grades. I have yet to figure out how to remove it. The BB grading center looks entirely different on my end than it does for the students of the class. So no worries.
You might have received this message if you attempted to take the test after the 1:00 pm deadline to begin the exam. As stated in the announcement posted on Bb and the email sent to all students, the exam was to be taken during the specified time frame. The following was included in both the announcement and the email:
Mon, Oct 26, 2009 -- Important Exam Info- Test #2 - Nov. 1st The upcoming exam (Test #2) will be available this Sunday, November 1st, from 11:00 am Sunday to 1:00 pm Monday. If you miss taking the test during the time frame given above, you will NOT be able to retake the test.
Are tests timed
ReplyDeleteGood question, tests will be timed, although I have yet to decide on a time length or even the number of test questions. That should be figured out within the next week.
ReplyDeleteAre tests posted like a week ahead, then due on the date listed in our syllabus?
ReplyDeleteShannon, well, yes and no. Yes in that I will be posting the test 1-2 days prior. But no, because the tests will be accessible over a 24-hour window. The tests will generally be completed during the time frame indicated on the syllabus.
ReplyDeleteDavid
Ok I am still a little confused. So for example, on the syllabus the first test is listed for September 27th, so basically it'll be posted a day or two before the 27th and must be completed by the 27th?
ReplyDeleteYes, that is correct. The test will be administered similar to a classroom setting. You will access the test through BB, and upon opening it, you will be given 65-70 minutes to complete the questions. There will be a 24-hour window to access the test.
ReplyDeleteProf. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteHello! Is the syllabus quiz only going to be available to take on Sept. 6th?? Thanks!
-Andrea
Andrea, no, the quiz will be available for two days, but over a 24-hour period. I will post the quiz Sunday at noon, and it will be available until Monday at noon.
ReplyDeleteProf. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteThere is a very large timer at the side of the test. I know it supposed to be there, but it makes it difficult to read the question and click the submit button. I had to enlarge the screen just to see a little portion of the arrow to submit the question. I know other people who have experienced the same issues in other online classes; that was how I found out about enlarging the screen. However, I still was unable to read the entire question. This may become an issue in the future. Is there any way to fix this problem?
Thanks for your help,
Jess
I just tried to take the exam and there was this big clock that was in the way. i couldn't skroll down or do anything else at that point,
ReplyDeletewhat gives...
In regard to the above two comments. Jess, that you for pointing this out and offering one solution to fix this issue. After your comment, Julie and I looked into this and were fortunate that another student experienced this issue in another class.
ReplyDeleteHere is "what gives": Internet Explorer is not fully compatible with Blackboard, thus, issues like the "time expired" are prone to happen.
The solution: Either 1) download a different web browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari) and that will clear up that problem; or 2) click the restore down button on your webpage and try to get around the issue of the clock. I would recommend the former.
Julie discussed these issues in an announcement earlier. Thanks to the students who pointed this out as well as provided solutions to this problem. Please refer to this announcement. Since I am in the process of catching a flight, Julie will be addressing further issues you have. Please contact her in this regard.
Dr. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteAs I was taking the syllabus quiz I was not able to go to the next question and I could not widen the screen anymore to view more of the page. My time ran out and it says my test was not completed. So I need to know what to do about the quiz since this was not my fault I do not feel I should be punished for it. As I saw another student had the same difficulty but I did not see an arrow for the submit button, So please let me know as soon as you can what you are going to do to fix it.
Thank you,
Erik Wolfram
Please see the posts above for an explanation of the problem. Also, go to the link on the announcements page for instructions before you take the test. If you need further help with this problem you can email me.
ReplyDeleteDr. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteI was in the middle of taking my syllabus test and I got to question 7. I continued to hit the next button to submit my answers and it prompted me to wait. I waited about ten minutes and then decided that it would help to hit the refresh button. Obviously, this was a bad idea. I am a transfer student from Tucson and still learning how to take exams on-line. I apologize for the inconvenience and was hoping I could be let back into the exam. Thank you for your time.
Best,
Erik Wolfram
For the test on September 27th, what will it be covering? The textbooks readings, the excerpts or both?
ReplyDeleteBrad,
ReplyDeleteThe test will cover all of the information covered in the course, including the textbook readings and the excerpts. That said, your powerpoints will be a helpful study guide for the test.
What do you mean by not taking the test on Internet explorer?
ReplyDeleteThe Internet Explorer 8 issue is discussed in the posts above (Sept 6-7). Also, if you display (View All) on the Announcements page you will see an announcement about this issue.
ReplyDeleteProf. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteHi! When will exam 1 be posted? Is it going to be just like the syllabus quiz and be available for 24 hours (and if so just at noon again?) or just due before midnight Sunday? Thanks!
Exam #2 will be posted Sunday at 11:00am. It will be available until Monday at 1:00pm. I am working on an announcement right now that will describe everything in more details.
ReplyDeleteProf. Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteIs there a way to review the answers that we have missed on the test? After you submit it, it just gives you a score; however, it does not allow you back into the exam to see the correct answers. I have had another online class, and after the test it would allow you to see what you got correct and what you missed.
Thank-you,
Jess
before the next test is anyone interested in meeting up and have a study group to prepare for the test?
ReplyDeleteJustin,
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you are planning on starting a study group. I would be interested in attending.
Thanks,
Jess
Tests will be reviewed with students only in person, by appointment. Please contact Julie if you would like to set up an appointment. Since this is an online course, you will have to accomodate with our schedule. - David
ReplyDeleteProf Pyrooz,
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Chap. 11-13 right now and am seeing answers to some questions that were on the test. I didn't think these chapters were on test 1. Am I reading the syllabus wrong and am actually a week behind or were those questions not supposed to be on the first test?
Cesar
Nevermind. I think I was mistaken.
ReplyDeleteI just look at the "grades" portion of this blackboard page and I noticed one grade that was for Test 1A. Is this some test that I have missed already and was not aware of?
ReplyDeleteCesar
Test 1a is not a part of your grades. I have yet to figure out how to remove it. The BB grading center looks entirely different on my end than it does for the students of the class. So no worries.
ReplyDeleteHi Professor,
ReplyDeleteIs the test still due tomorrow at 1pm? Since you posted it today. Thanks
Blackboard is requiring me to enter a password to take the exam. I do not recall having to do this on the first exam. What should I do?
ReplyDeleteYou might have received this message if you attempted to take the test after the 1:00 pm deadline to begin the exam. As stated in the announcement posted on Bb and the email sent to all students, the exam was to be taken during the specified time frame. The following was included in both the announcement and the email:
ReplyDeleteMon, Oct 26, 2009 -- Important Exam Info- Test #2 - Nov. 1st
The upcoming exam (Test #2) will be available this Sunday, November 1st, from 11:00 am Sunday to 1:00 pm Monday. If you miss taking the test during the time frame given above, you will NOT be able to retake the test.
Will the final be cumulative or only include the information afer the last test?
ReplyDelete